Tuesday 21 January 2014

Just In the NYX of Time.

Surprisingly I have never actually made an order to NYX before. 
I had heard at how hard it is to get a hold of in the UK so always wrote it off as something I'll never try. 

However I found their website and actually found it really easy to get. 
A simple order accompanied with a speedy next day delivery and I was well away!

Something I had been really interested in was finding a good contour. 
Being ghostly pale I can't find a good contour but I had heard about the NYX blush in Taupe and how good this was for pale people. 



Naturally this was the first thing I got. 
Retailing at £6 it's fairly pricey and a bit more than I would normally be willing to spend on a blush, but so far it's been working nicely. 
It's a medium toned brown with definite purple and blue undertones. 
I think the purple tones running through it will work nicely to warm up my complexion while adding some definition to my face.

I had been eyeing up the Kevyn Aucoin Sculpting Powder in Medium, but at a hefty £35 that might have to wait ;)
Upon swatching you can see it almost disappears, however don't let this fool you.
A little goes a long way with this and it appears much darker on the face.

The next two purchases were more impulsive. 
I wasn't expecting much from this concealer, mainly because I hadn't heard much about it, plus concealer is quite tricky. 
With the exception to my Collection Lasting Perfection, concealers tend to weigh more on the orange side and are never pale enough. 

This was a pleasant surprise though. 
For £6 it is nice to use and I hasn't left disappointed. 
Debateable whether I'll repurchase or not, as it is a bit more expensive than Collection's, but a nice concealer!
I wouldn't say it's full coverage, it's medium but can be built up. 
It also has a slight brightening effect under the eye, but works nicely to cover up blemishes without highlighting them.  
But please do not try and cover up dry blemishes with this as it will only make them more noticeable.
It is quite creamy, but this doesn't mean that it isn't drying, I would suggest setting it with a powder if you're of an oily/combination complexion.

Lastly was the Cream Blush in Rose Petal. 
I was sort of in the market for a matte cream blush, with no shimmer in it and saw this and thought it would be perfect.
This currently retails for £5.50, so it didn't really break the bank so I was willing to try it out.
This blue toned pink is perfect for my pale complexion. 
I don't really like warm toned blushers on me; corals and berry shades just make me look really embarrassed. 
I apply this on the back of my cheek bones as I find this lifts the face a bit more. 
A bit of a tip here: applying blusher on the apples of the cheek is quite ageing, applying it on the back towards the hairline allows for a "lift" effect to be had thus giving you the effect of a lifted face. 

This is of quite a sticky consistency so it has some staying power. 
I have found the best way to apply this is to get a little on my finger place it wear I want and gentle blend it out. 

I then go in with the Real Tehcniques Stippling Brush and stipple it out. 
Sometimes if I've put too much on I'll go in with my foundation brush and blend it out even more. 
A little note with this, as well as with the Taupe Blush, a little goes a long way!

Don't be afraid to start with a little as it can be built up!

So far I'm pleased with my first NYX purchases and will definitely be ordering some more. 
I'm currently eyeing up the butter glosses!

Have you tried NYX cosmetics?
What would you recommend?

Much love
Deanna xo





4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post...I like your blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Nessa!
      I've just followed you :)
      xx

      Delete
  2. i didn't know NYX had cream blushes - that looks gorgeous! i've been really into cream blushes lately, actually just did a blogpost on my favorites too :)

    rachel x
    blush&brunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rachel!
      Yeah I didn't know either! I just stumbled across them and thought I would try them out :)
      It really is a nice shade, very versatile.
      Ahh really? I'll go have a look now!
      xx

      Delete