Wednesday 23 July 2014

The Make-Up ¦ Cool Smoky Eye




Back when I was first getting into make-up I used to experiment with it a lot. But these days, not so much. I used to see every opportunity to wear make-up as an opportunity to experiment but these days I've been very neutral and quite boring, to be honest. Everyday was a day to wear a smoky eye, so today I thought I'd do a little "pic-torial" on how I achieved this smoky eye. I just sat down with all my eyeshadows and tried to create something nice. 


PRODUCTS USED:

Rimmel Primer
Maybelline Colour Tattoo: Permanent Taupe 
MUA Undressed Me Too Palette: Naked - used to blend
                                                         Shy and Reveal - mixed and used as inner-corner highlight
                                                         Fiery - to warm up the lid

                                                         Wink - to blend the purple shade with the crease 
                                                         Lavish - to define crease/blend colour
                                                         Corrupt - to darken/deepen the crease
MUA Eye-Shadow:- Shade 24 (Pearl finish)
                             - Shade 19 (Matte finish)
Natural Collection Blush: - Pink Cloud (used to warm up crease)
Collection Extreme Felt Tip Liner - Black
Rimmel Scandal Eyes Eye-Liner - 001 Black
Maybelline Brown Eye-Liner 
Rimmel Scandal Eyes Lycra Flex Mascara - Black
Maybelline Great Last Mascara - Black (for bottom lashes)

First up I primed my eyes with the Rimmel Primer. I just took the tiniest but of this and smoothed it all over my eye before setting this with the Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed powder. I feel putting a powder on top and really layering up the products helps with the longevity of the make-up. As a base for the shadow I applied my Maybelline Colour Tattoo all over the lid. This shade is quite dark and quite chalky when applied so I take the smallest amount and really work it in before going in with another layer just to build up the colour. I then blended this with a fluffy synthetic brush.

Eyes all primed now to move onto shadows! As I have hooded eyes (hence why my eyes are closed in the pictures, so you can see the colours) I like to not only define my crease but also lift it a little bit, to give the illusion of a lifted eye. I used Lavish from the MUA palette to start this. I used windswiper motions to hollow out my crease. I carried on, applying colour and then blending out it until I was happy. To help the crease blend into my skin colour, and as a preparation step for the smoky eye, I applied some Natural Collection blush to the very edge of my crease. This gave the look a pink hue and allowed the crease to blend perfectly. I also applied a little dab of MUA Eye-shadow in Shade 19 to the very hollow of my crease for extra dimension.

Next up was colour. I applied Shade 24 all over the lid, really packing on the colour. I then blended this into the crease. Once I was happy with the undertone of purple I went in with Wink to not only soften the purple but also to help with the gradient from colour to crease. This had a lot of shimmer running through it and ended up giving the eye a "foiled" effect which I really liked. To add a little bit of warmth to the look I took a little bit of Fiery; a very orange based shimmer. I just applied a little bit onto the outer edge, nearer the crease. When you work with colour like this you lose a lot of definition in the crease so I went back in with the Shade 19, just to ensure the dimension was kept. I then decided to create a more feline shape to the look so extended the crease, just a little bit, and joined it to my lash line so that it created a dark brown wing. I then extended my crease inwards towards the eye, just a tad, to add extra shape.

You'll notice that a smoky eye is, most of the time, all about going back on yourself and checking everything is there and no definition has been lost. It's also about the blending. Every now and then I'd just run a brush along the whole eye lid to check things were smooth. I was now happy with the top eye so moved onto liner. I took a little bit of the Maybelline Brown Eye-Liner and applied it, messily, on my top lash line slightly winging it out. I then took a little brush and my Shade 19 and packed this on top. Moving on to a slightly fluffier, but still small, brush I softened this out. I then applied the eye-liner to my bottom lash line (notice, LASH line, not tight line. I want to keep the eyes open). And smudged this out with Lavish. I then took Shy and Reveal, mixed them together, and placed it in the inner corner section of the eye. This really created a nice gradient across the shadows. I applied a generous amount of Rimmel Mascara. This look could have easily done with a nice set of false lashes but I didn't have any to hand. I then took the Maybelline mascara and lightly ran it along my bottom lashes.

This is the point where you can go back in and check that everything is right. I decided to deepen my crease a little bit more with a touch of Corrupt. This is a very black colour and extremely pigmented so I only used the tiniest amount and blended it out. My lash line wasn't as defined as I wanted it to be. I would normally do this is I had been wearing false lashes so I ran a little of the Collection Liner along my top lash line and winged out slightly. I also tight-lined with the Scandal Eyes pencil which just made the look more sleek.

I then added a bit of concealer and eyebrow gel for the photos. That's it! It was so refreshing to just start messing around with make-up again, I truly am in my element with make-up. I feel like this might be nice for going out or maybe you could recreate a more toned down version for a bridal look. I really like the colours involved, as they're quite cool but have warm undertones which looks super nice. Let me know what you think and if you want me to start doing some tutorials?


No comments:

Post a Comment