Friday 11 July 2014

Film Friday ¦ Spiral


Before I start with the review I have to apologise for the quality of the images, I couldn't find anything that would be perfect for this so I had to make do with good ol' Google! Spiral is a fairly un-heard of film and after watching it I can kinda get why.

It's targeted at a very niche market of people, in my opinion. If you love horror and are quite passionate about horror or just interested in serial killers then this'll be for you. Made in 2007; we follow a man who at a first glance seems very normal; normal job, normal life. But what's going on inside his head is less than normal. What exactly is happening here is very much left open to interpretation, things aren't made clear for you. So if you're after a clean cut movie where they give you the answers then this won't tickle your pickle. But if you want more of a puzzle to solve, something you can really get your teeth into or a movie that'll make you think then I'd give this a go.

At first I enjoyed this film but I didn't really understand it. I had to watch a few times just to catch some things that I had missed the first round. One thing that caught my eye was that this film is centred around art and that the main protagonist is a free-lance artist. Makes sense, the majority of artists are bat-shit cray cray. (Did I just say cray cray? Of course I'm joking.) Anyway, I was really intrigued with how the creation of his art really mimicked his spiral down into craziness. Bet you liked that pun, huh?

There's a lot more visual imagery in this movie than there is actual storyline. Hence why I think it might be a little hard for the average movie-goer to understand. But the storyline is there and it's fairly average which is what I expect with a movie that has imagery as powerful as this. In these terms it's in the same running as something like Eraserhead, but far less sophisticated.

I say watch it and see what you think. I picked up the DVD for no more than a fiver and it's for sure going to be a permanent staple in my collection. With movies I think it's very hard to give a review as with the majority of things it affects different people in different ways. All I can tell you is my opinion. I hope you liked this post and do let me know if you've seen this and you're thoughts on it!


No comments:

Post a Comment