Saturday 19 July 2014

The Hair ¦ Hair Care Routine



 I have written and re-written this post so many times over the course of the last few months. In a world where my make-up and skin care are fairly simplistic and easy, hair care is where I like to experiment a little bit more. Throughout the years I haven't been too kind to my hair; blasting it with a hair-dryer, dousing it in mousse, straightening and all the horrible hair cuts. I've definitely put my hair through a lot! But to keep it in tip-top condition here's a few things I like to do. Warning: This one is gonna be a rambly one!

I ALWAYS start every hair wash with a hair mask before I even touch my hair with water. My hair is naturally very curly (or should I say was, it's tamed down to more of a wave now) and so is very dry on the ends, with quite oily roots. I also find putting a hair mask on dry hair absorbs a lot better. I'm not committed to hair masks, I've been through a fair few, but I like the L'Oreal Ever Pure Intense Mask for coloured hair and the Garnier 1 minute mask for colour hair. I'm also partial to a little Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Treatment but I have run out and haven't repurchased it yet! If I'm feeling extra fancy I'll mix a bit of hair oil into the mask to give it a bit more oomph. Throw it up in a bun and leave for a few hours.

I then take down the bun and rinse out the hair mask. This leaves my hair quite soft but I still like to go in with an ordinary conditioner. I'm not too bothered about this either but I've really been liking the Garnier Ultimate Blends range for this. Both the Silky Smoother Conditioner and the Colour Illuminator Conditioner are fabulous and extremely affordable. That's one thing I like about my hair care is that it's very affordable so I never waste money. The Aussie Conditioner for Coloured Hair is quite lovely to use as well. I leave this to sit for about 5 minutes then rinse out.

This is where it gets interesting. Over the past 6 months I've been reverse washing my hair; you put conditioner in, rinse and then shampoo your hair. This just gets out all the residue left over from the conditioner. It's fabulous and leave my hair incredibly bouncy and full of life. For shampooing I'm a little more picky; nothing too stripping but clarifying will do the trick for me. I love the L'Oreal Ever Pure Shampoo as it's sulphate free so doesn't strip out colour too much but I tend to save this for when I want a deep clean of my hair. On a more "everyday" basis I love the Garnier Ultimate Blends on days where I just want to freshen up and smell gorgeous. Again I like the Silky Smoother Shampoo and the Colour Illuminator Shampoo. I tend to only shampoo the roots as this is where the oil/product build up generally is; I really work into my roots working from the base of my neck towards my forehead. Fingers are the key here, people!

Once this is done I ring out my hair and squeeze out all the excess moisture and take a little dollop of my conditioner and run it through the very ends of my hair. This acts as a leave in and adds extra moisture right where I need it. I then squeeze my hair again and throw it up in to a little turby towel. After letting it rest for about 30 minutes I take it out of the towel and give my hair a good shake to loosen it up. I turn my head upside down and take my fingers and really rough it up at the roots. I then take the Aussie Leave-In Conditioner and spray a good amount throughout my locks. I'm not picky with this, anything I have lying around will do! To add a real dose of nourishment to the ends of my hair I then take the Garnier Ultimer Blends, The Marvellous Glow Oil . This is the first hair oil I've tried and I'm not scared of them any more! I love this one for adding just the right amount of nourishment without being too oily. The pump makes it easy to dispense as well. Marvellous!

I'm taking a break from blow-drying my hair so heat defence isn't necessary. Although, my hair oil does have a heat defence already built in. But I still like to spray some of the L'Oreal Elnett Heat Protect Styling Volume Spray and spray it all over my hair, just because it smells delightful! As you can tell, I'm all about the good smelling products. I then either leave my hair down and let it dry naturally or I take a hair dressers grip, wrap my hair around in a bun, secure it and let it dry that way. I don't wash my hair all too often. Because I haven't been going out anywhere, just recently I've been washing it once a week. Just so it lets the natural oils do its thing. I went through a period of over washing my hair and it wasn't good! I also dye my hair using the Garnier Olia range, I used to use the Herbashine range but they have since discontinued it. I'm not particular about the colour as long as it's a shade of red, and I'm not loyal to Olia it just seems to be the only one that I'm not allergic to! I then get my hair cut every 12 weeks. I hope that this may have been helpful to some of you looking for some new hair care. Like I said, I'm not loyal to any of these it just so happens to be my routine now. Let me know what hair care products you love, down below!


No comments:

Post a Comment