Thursday 17 July 2014

Ways To Decorate ¦ Windowsill Edition




When it comes to decorating I really like to have some trinkets positioned neatly around my room. I think displaying little nik-naks around are an easy way to display your personality without being overly garish. The windowsill is the general meeting place for these little bits and bobs so I thought I would do a post on how to decorate your windowsill.



A pot plant is a very simple way to add a bit of colour/greenery to your room while remaining very simple and unique. Here I have an Easter cactus which was on sale at Morrisons; when I picked it up it was barely alive but I've managed to nurture it back to health. I think having a plant to care for is quite nice and the feeling you get for keeping this plant alive is quite satisfying. They are also great a stress relieving; if I could have more plants in my room I totally would. No need to get something fancy, just buy something quite low maintenance, like a cactus, and you'll be fine. Next to it I have a little puzzle world map which is just interesting to look at. I also think a windowsill is a nice place to display any mini collections you have going on. A few years back I really got into collecting miniature vans; I think the designs are quite quirky and they looked really precious in there little casings. It was an expensive hobby so I kinda stopped after collecting 5 but I've grown to love my little collection. They display nicely on the windowsill and add a little quirkiness to it.



I also like to display my jewellery here, mainly because I have nowhere else to put it. During the day I have to put a little bit of paper up to stop the jewellery getting discoloured but I don't mind. It looks cool and keeps it out of my way. All my precious pieces are stored in the blue box so that they won't get any type of discolouration whatsoever. And next to this I keep a couple of odd things that I found; a dead butterfly and an abandoned wasp nest. I didn't purposefully take these items and I never would; I have a fairly big garden so finding new things is easy. I was wandering around one day and came across this perfectly preserved dead butterfly and thought it would look beautiful displayed in a jar like this. I then came across the abandoned wasp next a few weeks later and decided to display that as well. Again, a very quick way of making your room your own. Then I have my jar of pennies. Truth be told, this jar was getting a little heavy for my desk so I just plonked it on the windowsill and it seemed to work. Every now and then I empty the jaw but I think it's quite interesting to have it here. I hope this helped you when it comes to decorating and do let me know some of your ideas down below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment